3 Weeks Prior to Blastoff
To do List for 3 weeks before vacation
Details that can be checked off your list 3 weeks prior to the day you depart for vacation.
This is page number 4 of our vacation planning guide that offers travel preparation tips and information to keep travelers organized every step of the way.
On this page we'll address the things that can be done around three weeks before you leave on your journey.
Things to do 3 Weeks Before Vacation
Get out your luggage and examine it for worthiness. Will it protect
your belongings from weather, physical abuse and nimble fingers when
not in your
You may decide that you need to purchase some new luggage.
The invention of travel bags with wheels has made being on-the-go much easier.
Avoid huge suitcases. Yes, you can get a lot of stuff in them.
It's simply amazing how much all those little things weigh when you put
them together in a gigantic
Our advice, as always is ~ Travel Light ~
Choose a size or two smaller and leave the iron at home.
- Medication -
Check all essential medications to make sure you'll have enough to last for at least one week beyond your return date.
- Hair Appointment - If you haven't already, make hair and aesthetic appointments now, or much earlier to catch those busy stylists.
- Currency - Check exchange rates here if you'll be using a different currencies. XE.com Personal Currency Assistant.
If you're going to use traveler's cheques, you should order them now. We don't use them any more at all and we don't buy currency from the bank anymore either.
We use a bank card in bank machines worldwide and get the best exchange rate. Take more than one card from different banks and don't wait until you
are completely out of cash to visit the ATM. You can never count on the bank machines being functional and having money in them (no matter where you are).
- Vehicle Appointment - Make an appointment to have your vehicle checked over and repairs done, particularly if this is
a road trip
- Bank Cards -
Check with your bank about daily withdrawl limits on debit cards.
Arrange for an increase if you think you'll need it. Leave room on your
credit cards and even pre-pay a sum if you'll be gone for a while. The
onset of online banking has made money issues much easier to deal with
- PIN Numbers - Refresh your memory on pertinent PIN numbers or change them to something you can remember.
- Purchase - Automatic timers. Practice setting lights and
radio to turn on and off at desired times with the auto timer. Keep
looking for those travel sized
- Camera & Equipment -
Purchase batteries and plenty of film if your camera uses it. Film can be ridiculously expensive in some countries.
Don't forget to buy a disposable camera (waterproof for beach and
sailing vacations) to capture those candid shots.
Disposable cameras will come with you to places you'd never take your
good camera and the quality of photos is surprisingly
good ... considering.
- Pets - Arrange boarding, or other care for your pets. Check out local kennels or
find a pet sitter.
- Break Shoes In - If you bought a brand new pair of shoes for the trip, start wearing them around the house to get them a broken in a bit.
More Travel Preparation Tips
4 - 6 months before vacation
2 - 3 months before vacation
6 weeks before vacation
2 weeks before vacation
Top of page
Things to do The Day You Leave